In today’s world, everyone has seen the studies on standing at your desk. They are EVERYWHERE! Seriously. They are in the New York Times, Forbes , Huffington Post , and Smithsonian Magazine, just to name a few. Don’t worry; in case you have been living off the grid for the last three years, I have linked to a couple of the articles.
This means that most Americans are getting the constant message to STAND! If you are one of the millions who purchased an Apple Watch, you know that every hour it reminds you to stand, but even still, the comment I get most frequently from Dispatch Supervisors is that their employees won’t stand. However, this isn’t really a valid argument if you have never given your dispatchers the option!
“But I Don’t Think the Dispatchers in My Center Will Stand…”
We think they will, and here are 5 reasons why:
- Novelty- When you get a new toy, you want to play with it! The same thing is true with new desks; people want to adjust the settings to see what works for them, and that may just be standing!
- Increased Calorie Burn- You burn more calories when you’re standing than when you’re sitting! That alone can get those who are trying to be health conscious to get out of their seats.
- Ergonomics- Dispatchers who have bad backs and/or necks, or who are suffering from old injuries, will embrace the ability to stand up! People often forget that dispatchers are TIED to their desks, and changing positions throughout the day is a must for relieving stiff joints.
- Energy Levels- Ever been slumped at your desk when 3pm rolls around? When you stand, you are more engaged in what you are doing, and it wakes you up! You’ll forget those midnight shift snoozes when you can stand!
- Treadmills and Bikes- You can’t put a treadmill or bike at your desk unless it is height-adjustable! This is one more great way to give dispatchers the option of being more proactive about their health, not to mention it increases energy levels and calories burned!
There you have the five reasons why dispatchers and other users WILL use standing desks if given the option! Go for it; you won’t regret it!